Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Oven Baked Trout & Shaved Rhubarb Salad

A friend of ours had caught some trout and shared the wealth a while back, so I pulled it out of the freezer with the intention of brewin' it up on the grill like this one.  The weather wasn't exactly cooperating, so I figured I'd try somethin' new.


I roughly followed this Martha Stewart recipe: 

I added kale, more potatoes, and a ton more garlic.  
Surprise.

This is how it came together at my house:

Preheat your oven to 400.

First up, I layered the bottom of a baking dish with whole kale leaves.
I'd recommend chopping them up to make them easier to serve.
Chard would be yummy, too.
I doctored it up with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.

Next up, toss some sliced potatoes (I used Yukon Gold), halved cherry or grape tomatoes, and a whole head of peeled garlic cloves, with olive oil, fresh oregano, salt and pepper.

Layer the taters on top of the kale, then evenly distribute the tomatoes and garlic.
And FYI, just this alone, without the fish, as a side dish would be deeeeelicious.







My daily kitchen helper.


She's gettin' pretty good with a knife, for a six-year old.

Okay, now throw that in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until your taters are just barely tender.
(If you're following the Martha recipe, it won't take as long to bake because there's only one layer of potatoes.)

Now you can lay your fish out on top of the potato/tomato mix.
I had six small ones.
Drizzle everyone with some olive oil, then season them up, inside and out, with salt and pepper.
The recipe calls for lemon slices, but all I had was lime, so that's what I used.
Stick those inside the fish.





Throw it back in the oven for another 20 minutes, or until the fish are done.
It will depend on the size of your fish.

Here they are, all cooked up and ready to eat:




Now I'm not gonna lie, fish and I and finicky.
I didn't try a single bite.  
I just wasn't feelin' it.
But The Dad and Baby tore it up and The Kid ate two whole trout all to himself.
I can vouch for the garlicky potatoes and tomatoes.
They did not suck at all.

To go with, I tried another new recipe out of my, Cooking From The Farmer's Market, cookbook that was super tasty and a fun way to eat rhubarb.
That recipe is here:






Here's dinner on my plate:







Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.



1 comment:

  1. I bet the flavor of this dish is just out of this world! I like the combo of the potatoes with the tomatoes and the layering you did....AMAZING! And the salad...are you kidding me! What a great meal you have here pal! And your helper is adorable! One day she will be cooking for you! Such a good mama you are! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover