Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Winter Jasmine

Another garden blogger gave me some starts of this plant a couple years ago.


This is the first time it has bloomed for me.
I planted it at the base of the front of the shed, in hopes of disguising the ugliness.



They get really big, so my goal is to train it to grow up and over the roof.
According to Wikipedia, Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) is a slender, deciduous shrub, native to China.
The latin name, nudiflorum, translates to "naked flower", because it commonly blooms before the leaves emerge. 
It generally has flowers from November to March, likes full sun to part shade, and should be pruned in spring after it's done flowering.
To start a cutting of your own, just stick a branch down in some dirt and wait for it to root.




In other garden news, my sweet box is continuing to smell up the entire back yard.
That plant is amazing.
I have yet to lift a finger in the clean up department.
Maybe next month.
And just for fun, here are a couple pictures of my poor bird bath sedum planter.




I have a mini update on The Kid tonight.
His MRI was originally scheduled for Monday evening, but they called today to reschedule.
We are now going in first thing in the morning this Friday.
If ever there was a time for positive thoughts sent our way, this would be it.
Clean and clear photos of a healthy little brain is the outcome this mama wants.



Shameless plug alert:  
Just a little reminder that you can purchase my floral photographs in my Etsy shop.
If you see one in a post that isn't in the shop, shoot me an email and I'd be more than happy to list it for ya.
The Dad will thank you for helping to support my plant addiction.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RindyMae


8 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and The Kid - knowledge is power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty flower on a delicate vine! Imshould welcome seeing something blooming outdoors right now :-)
    So glad you are getting the MRI taken care of. I know it's scary but knowledge is power and finding out definitive answers is important. Hugs - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mindy,

    Lots of positive thoughts and prayers coming your way! I hope all goes well tomorrow morning.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots & Lots of positive thoughts & prayers coming your way!!!!
    That plant is just so cool. I won't get to see anything bloom until at least May :( Spring is not getting here fast enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying praying praying Mindy......wishing your family all good things. And that jasmine is beautiful. I will be thinking of you all tomorrow. Nic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots and lots of positive prayers headed your way for The Kid and his parents :) In the less important column, that Winter Jasmine is so lovely. I am crazy about those sweet little blooms. They almost remind me of individual blooms on my Kokopelli Narcissus plants. Its going to be stunning when it is completely covering that trellis and roof.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Winter Jasmine is so pretty and delicate. I have never seen this flower before, but knowing it is a Jasmine I can imagine it smells divine.
    Belated happy birthday to the dragon fan. That was some party. All the little details in the decorations and food. I bet he was over the moon.
    I am so hoping all goes well with the MRI. The extra wait because of the rescheduling must have been hard. I am sending lots of positive thinking your way Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your winter jasmine. Any flower is good this time of year. I love your sedums too.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover